New Brunswick Day Celebrations
Monday, August 06, 2012
Official New Brunswick Day celebration in the rural community of Saint-André
Every year one community is chosen to host the official New Brunswick Day celebration, and this year it is the rural community of Saint-André.
“It has been over 15 years since the celebration has been held in northwestern New Brunswick, so we thought we would organize it in cooperation with our neighbouring municipalities of Drummond, Grand Falls, and Saint-Léonard, and make it into a regional project,” said Saint-André mayor Allain Desjardins.
The organizing committee has planned a day of activities for people of all ages at the Saint-André Recreation Centre, located at 455 Route 255 in Saint-André, from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- At 10:00 a.m., musical performances will begin under the tent.
- An official ceremony will be held at 11:00 a.m. to focus well-deserved attention on our beautiful province. Several dignitaries, including Premier David Alward and the Grand Falls Cadet Corps, have already confirmed that they will be in attendance. The recipients of the Order of New Brunswick will be announced during the ceremony.
- After the formal ceremony, musical entertainment will continue in the tent, provided by artists from the show L’Acadie des terres et forêts en fête, students from Broadway Productions, students from Vers ton rêve, the Saint-André Choir and the Violons des chutes, and there will also be an appearance by amateur comedian Jérémy Michaud.
- On the strike of noon, a lunch of hot dogs and “ployes” (buckwheat pancakes) will be served free of charge, followed by cake.
- Beginning at noon, there will be face painting for the children, and a clown will be there for their entertainment. Games will be available for the whole family, and horse rides will also be offered free of charge.
- Inside the recreation centre there will be exhibits of arts and crafts by local residents, as well as a photography exhibit set up by the New Brunswick Archives.
- Also outside the Centre there will also be an exhibit of emergency vehicles that serve our area so well, including fire trucks and police vehicles. Representatives of each service will be on site to show you around the vehicles and answer questions from visitors.
- We are also very pleased to welcome members of the Canadian Armed Forces from Base Gagetown who will be showing various pieces of equipment used to protect and defend our country when the need arises. This will be an opportunity to learn more about the Canadian Armed Forces and to thank these brave men and women who safeguard our security in Canada and abroad.
“It will be a memorable day for our area. I invite you to come celebrate New Brunswick Day with us in Saint-André,” Mr. Desjardins said.
For information, contact Nathalie Lajoie Langlais at 506-473-7580 or go to www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/departments/cthl/promo/nb_day_2012.html